Current Events

People Blind from Birth use Visual Brain area to Improve Other Senses

October 6, 2010
Author Unknown

People who have been blind since birth have the ability to use the part of their brain that isn't being used to improve their hearing and their touch, therefore being able to navigate roads like a normal person with a walking stick. Scientists found that the certain modules used for sight in the brain have gone with the modules that control touch and hearing therefore enhancing them. Scientist got 12 blind and not blind volunteers and put them in a room, where the made soft noises from different directions and asked them to tell the scientists where the sound was coming from. Then they put little vibrators on their fingers and asked them which ones were vibrating. At the end of the test scientists proved that blind people can feel and hear much better than the average person.

I choose this article because when I was little my dad showed me a kind of book the had bumps where the letters were and he said that it was for blind people to read. I tried and I tried but i couldn't make out the letters without looking at them but then I saw a blind person do it and I thought that he wasn't actually blind and it was a prank until i saw him looking away and reading out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment